Fabric Upholstery FAQs
- My couch doesn’t look dirty…why should I have it cleaned?
- Is there an advantage to having my upholstered furniture professionally cleaned versus cleaning it myself?
- Do you use the same cleaning process for all upholstered furniture?
- How often should my upholstered furniture be professionally cleaned?
- Do you clean other fabric items like drapes, bedspreads or my car interior?
- Does Furniture TLC have a unique process or method of cleaning upholstery?
- The label on my furniture recommends dry cleaning; is that my only option?
- What about pet urine that has soaked through the seat cushion?
- Why can’t I just throw my cushion covers in the washing machine?
- Will cleaning remove the protective coating I paid for when I bought my furniture?
- Does fabric protection work?
- How much extra will it be to add fabric protection?
- I have a strong odor on my sofa; will your cleaning process remove it?
- Do you offer a warranty with your service?
- Is there an advantage to having my leather professionally cleaned versus cleaning it myself?
- What’s the difference between the professional leather products you use and the products available in stores?
- How often should my leather be cleaned?
- What types of leather do you clean?
- Can you clean and condition the leather in my car interior?
- Do you use a unique process or method in cleaning leather?
- Will cleaning alone take care of the heavy soiling on my leather?
- How long does it take to clean a sofa?
1. My couch doesn’t look dirty…why should I have it cleaned?
A considerable amount of dust and dirt gets brought into your home on a weekly basis and settles onto your furniture. Then you add in the perspiration and natural body oils that get transferred onto the upholstery and become embedded with soil particles into the fibers of the fabric. Depending on the type of material you have and the color, this accumulation may be visible on the surface and it may not. But it’s there, and you don’t just have a soiled piece of furniture, you also have a breeding ground for bacteria and allergens. Having your upholstered furniture professionally cleaned properly on a regular basis can eliminate these health risks and prolong the life and performance of your furniture.
2. Is there an advantage to having my upholstered furniture professionally cleaned versus cleaning it myself?
There are several advantages to having Furniture TLC professionally clean your upholstery. First and foremost, our cleaning process is a dry process. We don’t pump excessive amounts of hot water into your furniture and then try to vacuum it out. This is called steam cleaning and it takes several hours to dry and leaves behind a dirt-attracting residue of chemicals and soap. The moisture gets absorbed by the foam in your cushions where it eventually becomes a breeding ground for mold, bacteria and irritating allergens.
What’s more, dry is safe and convenient for you. You don’t have to wait around for hours and hours while your furniture dries. With our cleaning methods, you can begin enjoying your newly cleaned furniture usually within one hour after cleaning.
We use professional, eco-friendly cleaning products with the proper PH levels formulated specifically for your fabric or material. The cleaning products available in department and grocery stores are mainly all-purpose cleaners. This “one-cleaner-fits-all” approach will not produce the best results for many different types of fabrics and fibers.
3. Do you use the same cleaning process for all upholstered furniture?
No. First, we determine what type of fabric you have and then we test your fabric to determine which cleaning method will be the safest and most effective for your particular material. The cleaning method we decide on is based on years of experience and success in treating various natural and synthetic fibers and materials. There’s no guesswork with Furniture TLC. We know which cleaning methods and products will produce the best results.
4. How often should my upholstered furniture be professionally cleaned?
5. Do you clean other fabric items like drapes, bedspreads or my car interior?
6. Does Furniture TLC have a unique process or method of cleaning upholstery?
Our unique process for cleaning upholstered and fabric furniture is based on 25 years of experience working with many different kinds of natural and synthetic materials. Through extensive research and product testing, we know you can’t treat all fabrics with one cleaner and expect to get the best results. We have several types of professional products that we use based on the specific fabric and upholstery we are cleaning. These are the same professional products used by leading furniture manufacturers and retailers to clean their furniture.
We know how furniture should be cleaned. We know that sometimes it requires replacing the foam in your cushions to take care of an odor or a stain rather than trying to clean them. We know how to treat dust mites and other allergens so that they don’t become a reoccurring problem. And we know how to make even the toughest of stains disappear as if they were never there. At Furniture TLC, we know of only way to clean furniture…the right way.
7. The label on my furniture recommends dry cleaning; is that my only option?
No. We will test your fabric to determine which cleaning method will be the safest and most effective. That label or tag, known as the “Manufacturer Liability Code,” is required to recommend “a” single cleaning method even though it may not be the most effective method for removing soil.
8. What about pet urine that has soaked through the seat cushion?
When it comes to pet urine or a liquid stain that has penetrated through the material, we are one of the few cleaning companies that will remove the stuffing from your cushions or pillows, clean the stuffing as well as the outer cover, and return the cushions or pillows to their original condition. If your stuffing can not be cleaned satisfactorily, we replace it with new stuffing.
9. Why can’t I just throw my cushion covers in the washing machine?
10. Will cleaning remove the protective coating I paid for when I bought my furniture?
If you haven’t had your upholstered furniture cleaned since you’ve owned it, chances are the protective coating has already deteriorated to a point of no longer being effective. After we clean your furniture thoroughly, we re-apply a fabric protection or coating as part of our normal cleaning process.
11. Does fabric protection work?
Yes, it does work. Fabric protection creates an invisible barrier around the fibers of the material and improves their resistance to dirt, dust, water-based stains and normal wear and tear. Since dry dirt can damage and shorten the life of the fabric, the fabric protection we apply increases the longevity of the material and keeps it looking its best for years to come.
12. How much extra will it be to add fabric protection?
Furniture TLC is one of the few companies that do not charge anything extra to apply fabric protection after a cleaning. We consider protecting your upholstery from future stains and soiling as part of our cleaning process.f
13. I have a strong odor on my sofa; will your cleaning process remove it?
14. Do you offer a warranty with your service?
Yes…we warranty our work and service for 90 days whether it’s cleaning, repair or restoration.
1. Is there an advantage to having my leather professionally cleaned versus cleaning it myself?
Most leather cleaners and conditioners sold in department and grocery stores may improve your leather’s condition for a short period of time, but then the leather dries out again. Some non-professional leather products contain ingredients that could end up causing irreparable damage to your leather. The professional leather products we use at Furniture TLC contain the correct ingredients based on the type of leather you have and add back the proper nourishment which is vital to keeping your leather looking and feeling its best for a long time.
2. What’s the difference between the professional leather products you use and the products available in stores?
Most of the non-professional leather cleaning and conditioning products sold in stores today contain silicones and lubricants that provide only a thin outer layer of protection but eventually end up dehydrating which can damage your leather long term. The professional leather cleaners, conditioners, and protectants we use at Furniture TLC will provide long-lasting rejuvenation and nourishment without any harmful side effects.l3
3. How often should my leather be cleaned?
4. What types of leather do you clean?
We clean every type of leather made including protected or pigmented, aniline, Nubuck or suede, wax pull-up, and oil pull-up or oiled. If you don’t see your type of leather listed here, call us… we can clean it!l5
5. Can you clean and condition the leather in my car interior?
Yes. Leather upholstery in automobiles, boats and RVs is typically exposed to more extreme weather conditions like sun, heat and cold than the leather in your home. These factors make regular maintenance of your leather upholstery in these vehicles even more critical. We use professional products that are specially formulated to protect your interior from these harsh conditions. A well maintained leather interior not only will keep your vehicle looking and feeling like new longer but can also increase your resale value when you are ready to sell it.
6. Do you use a unique process or method in cleaning leather?
Furniture TLC understands leather better than your typical cleaning company because our products were created specifically for the tanneries and furniture manufacturers long before we made them available to consumers. Our service technicians are leather experts and know how to determine what type of leather you have and with that knowledge, how to apply the right products to achieve the best results.
We clean leather using a three-step process whereas most cleaning companies use only one. After determining what type of leather you have, we clean it using one of our proprietary products. We dry it thoroughly and then apply a product that delivers the fat liquors back into the leather. This step is called increasing the “hand” of the leather. Finally we apply a coat of our proprietary protection cream to increase the “hand” further, as well as increase the integrity of the finish coat, or in the case of aniline leather, simply slow the rate of absorption should you spill something on this leather type. If you have Nubuck or Suede, we will apply a water-based aerosol-free protector that will not stain or discolor this delicate leather.
7. Will cleaning alone take care of the heavy soiling on my leather?
In some instances cleaning alone may not solve your problem. If that is the case, your Furniture TLC technician will review with you, the type of leather you have, what results you can expect from our Clean, Condition and Protect service, as well as explain to you how your particular problem can be solved. If we can’t get your leather clean and looking like new again…NOBODY CAN!
8. How long does it take to clean a sofa?
I have surface scratches on my leather; will a professional cleaning remove them?
What type of warranty do you offer on your services?